Saturday, December 18, 2010

Merry Christmas

I'm just gonna go ahead and say it. I'm not a fan of Christmas. And I'm not one of those adults that doesn't like Christmas anymore I never really liked it. My problem with Christmas is all the hype thats surrounding it. For months and months we are bombarded with commercials and specials and in-store displays telling us just how "magical" Christmas is, how "wonderful" its going to be. And then the day comes and its never, ever what they built it up to be. I don't think it could be. It wouldn't matter what happened that day, nothing could really live up to all the hype thats shoved down our throats for months. I mean think about it, we get at least 2 months of hype for one day. One little old day can't hardly live up to that. From the commercials we see we expect there to be a day full of happiness with no sadness or anger. A day where you can look up at the stars make a wish and it actually comes true. But thats not what really happens on Christmas. The issues we had with our families the week before still exist. The things that were heart-breaking to us a couple of days ago are still heart-breaking to us. And even if you do have a good day, when its all done and over you still get the feeling when the whole thing is said and done of "Thats it?? Thats what all the hullabuloo was all about?" It always leaves me feeling a little disappointed and a little empty. I want to send a letter of complaint to the people who for yet another year somehow made me believe that this year it was going to be different. Maybe all those years before I'd been sleeping when that magic stuff happened and thats why I always wondered where all the greatness was. But no. I think 26 straight Christmases proves to me that I am right, we are just much to bombarded with the media telling us how we are supposed to feel on Christmas. And honestly they do send the message that if you didn't get everything you wanted and you didn't get everyone everything they wanted you somehow failed Christmas. Wow. I've failed Christmas alot of times.

Christmas is too commercialized. I know I'm not anywhere close to the first person whos complained about it, but that should say something. I might be the only person in the world who is angry that Pillsbury doesn't have a birthday themed ready to bake cookie, but I'm far from the only person who is disenchanted with Christmas. And there is a major problem with that, when we start getting disenchatned with Christmas, the Christmas that the media sells us, we start to want to just write the whole hoilday off. And when we want to do that we miss the whole meaning of Christmas in the first place. The whole reason for the season. I know that Christmas isn't going to get less commercialized. Actually its going to get worse. As more and more people fight to get the "Christ" out of Christmas the whole meaning of Christmas is going to seem more and more like its all of those ads we see on TV. That leaves it up to all of us. To spread the message of Christmas and the love that should come with it, to the people that we love. Christmas shouldn't be about all of those commercials we see on TV. The ones that seem to imply that we have to do everything perfect in order to have a perfect Christmas. That we have to have a perfect family to enjoy being with them. Thats not at all true. Christmas, like the reason for Christmas, Jesus is for everyone. It doesn't matter if you can't buy everyone the gifts they want or if you might not have a great relationship with your uncle who can't forgive your past. Christmas should be about remembering the reason for the holiday and enjoying the REAL magic of it. Being able to celebrate that reason, no matter how much money you've got or how many gifts you give or get.

Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment